How To Clean Mascot Costumes
Why are Clean Mascot Costumes Important?
Taking good care of your mascot costumes has three key advantages. First, it increases the lifetime of your costume. Second, a clean and well maintained mascot has a positive effect on your audience. Finally, the wearer will appreciate a clean costume and perform to their best.
When to Clean Mascot Costumes
We make a distinction between two types of cleaning: post-use cleaning and long-term thorough cleaning.
To Do’s after each performance
- Clean the head of the mascot with water and detergent from the inside. Do not use perfume or deodorant.
- If there is a stain, remove the stain immediately with wet cloth or stain remover. Make sure your stain remover does not contain bleach and is color resistant.
- Have a quick look at the mascot after each use. Do the zippers work? Is there any damage? If you take care to repair every little thing immediately your mascot will last a lot longer.
- The mascot should always be aired and completely dry before it is stored.
Long term thorough cleaning
Recommended every 3 months
Head and Feet
- Clean the head and the feet from the inside and outside with a steam cleaner.
- Use color-fast stain remover (for example Vanish oxi Action) to remove stains.
- Wash the head and the feet with a wet cloth and dry them afterwards.
- If your mascot has long haired fabric, brush the hair
- Before you store the mascot be sure the head and the feet are completely dry.
Body, Hands and Clothes
- Wash the mascot and each part of it by hand.
- Take note to the washing instructions of the particular detergent you are using.
- During cleaning, don’t expose your mascot to high temperatures (EX: dryer or iron).
- Do not bleach or clean the mascot with any chemicals.
- Let the costume air dry. Important note: never put the mascot costume in a dryer.
- For parts of the mascot which cannot be cleaned by hand you can use our cleaning instruction for the head/feet.
At Promo Bears, we are always on hand for any questions about our mascot costumes. Give us a call at 941-254-3284 or send us an email and one of our project managers will be happy to give advice on cleaning your custom mascot.
Do you have an old and tired mascot costume in need of a total upgrade? Get in touch with us for a quote on a new and improved mascot costume for your organization: